Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Final District Message from iPDG Kathryn Hardman

Kathryn and John enjoying the Convention in Lisbon, Portugal

















Dear Rotarians,
 
This year I had the honor of presenting PDG Leon Riggs of the Carlisle Club with his 50 year membership pin.  He gave a wonderful, extemporaneous speech about all the places he had visited as a Rotarian.  I am going to borrow a line from Leon Riggs-Rotary has taken me many places.  Rotary has taken me to places that show me the diversity and beauty of our commonwealth and the world.  It is a world that is full of the goodwill and good work that defines Rotary and Rotarians everywhere.

Rotary has taken me many places both as a Rotarian and as your district governor.  It has taken me to the historic Cumberland Gap region and the Rotary clubs of Middlesboro and Pineville.  Rotary has taken me to the shadows of the beautiful Pine Mountain and Black Mountain to the Rotary clubs of Whitesburg and Cumberland.  Rotary has taken me to the heart of coal country and the clubs of Harlan, Hazard and Pikeville.

Rotary has taken me many places.  It has taken me to the Big Sandy River Valley and the Rotary clubs of Grayson, Paintsville, Prestonsburg and Louisa.  Rotary has taken me to the historic communities of the Ohio River Valley and the Rotary clubs of Ashland, Russell, Maysville, and Augusta.

Rotary has taken me many places.  It has taken me to the suburban communities of metropolitan Cincinnati to the Rotary clubs of Florence, Covington, Campbell, and Kenton.   Rotary has taken me to the Licking River Valley and the Rotary clubs of Falmouth, Flemingsburg, and West Liberty. 

Rotary has taken me to the beautiful bluegrass communities and the Rotary clubs of Lexington, Lexington Sunrise, Carlisle, Cynthiana, Paris, Georgetown, Mount Sterling, Woodford-Versailles, Nicholasville, Richmond, Bluegrass Richmond, Winchester, Lancaster, Berea and Stanford.  And of course, Rotary has taken me to the Cumberland River Valley communities of our close neighbor clubs of Somerset, Somerset Pulaski and Corbin.

Rotary has taken me many places.  It has taken me to New Orleans and abroad to Bangkok Thailand and Lisbon Portugal as I visited Rotary International conventions.  Rotary has taken me to Zone Institutes in to St. Louis, Birmingham, and Nashville.

Rotary has taken me many places and it has brought me back to my home club and my home community of London.  Rotary has shown me that while  worldwide we may speak different languages and  our food may taste a little different,  Rotarians are working together as citizens our own communities and citizens of the world for Peace Through Service.  Continue your good work and thank you for allowing me to serve as your District Governor.  It has been an honor and a privilege.  Peace!

Kathryn Hardman
Immediate Past District Governor



Rotary at the port in Naples, Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment