Tuesday, July 23, 2013

District Governor’s Letter to the District


 

Dear Rotarians of District 6740,

I am honored and humbled to be your District Governor . I follow in the path of governors who have lived Rotary’s motto and served with distinction and set a high standard. I have been especially appreciative of the relationship Past District Governor John Adams, Immediate Past District Governor Kathryn Hardman, District Governor Elect John Salyers and I have had over the last couple of years as we have worked together on the various aspects of Rotary to strengthen the Rotary clubs in our district, expand service in the name of Rotary and develop future Rotary leaders. I am inspired by the Rotarians and Rotary clubs who have modeled the way of Rotary in my 34 years as a Rotarian.

In January of this year, my wife, Kay and I met RI President Ron Burton and his wife Jetta at the International Assembly training for District Governors from around the world. There, President Ron announced his theme for the 2013-14 Rotary year  Engage Rotary, Change Lives. That theme speaks to me as a Rotarian. In many ways it is a call to action for all us Rotarians. Engagement means making a connection and becoming involved. I learned that early after being a Rotarian for only a month and a half and being made co-chair for a new fundraising project for my then Rotary club in Ottawa, Ontario Canada. President Ron Burton claims that when “you make the decision to truly engage Rotary – to bring Rotary service and Rotary values into every day of your life –that is when you start to see the incredible impact you can have”. That is when we see that we really can change lives.

I have now just begun to make my visits to our clubs. I have been awed by the stories I’ve been told of projects and activities and funds raised to support club projects. These are stories of Rotarians living our theme. Be it ever so.

Engage Rotary, Change Lives

Jack McAllister
Rotary Club of Lexington, Kentucky USA
District 6740, Governor 2013-14

No comments:

Post a Comment