Monday, October 31, 2011

Governor's Message - My Greatest Rotary Moment



Often Rotarians are asked to consider what was your greatest Rotary moment? Or when were you most proud to be a Rotarian? Another form of the question is what engages your interest in Rotary? These questions are a form of "appreciative inquiry" which is a management technique for religious, service or other non-profit groups. The idea is to find what engages the individual members of the group and maximize that engagement in the group's planning and operations.

In the past my answer to the above questions would be the work I did for my club (and where I assisted other clubs) in international humanitarian projects involving Rotary foundation funding. I get great satisfaction in watching projects come together, progress, and be completed. Most of the time the satisfaction of knowing that I have, in a small way, helped others in desperate need outweighs the administrative work performed. I also have gained wonderful friends and contacts from around the world.

This past September that satisfaction came from a source closer to home. The Rotary clubs in Somerset hosted a "Remote Area Medical" clinic (see http://6740newsletter.blogspot.com/2011/10/rc-somerset-pulaski-county-hosts-remote.html and http://6740newsletter.blogspot.com/2011/10/rc-somerset-pulaski-county-hosts-remote.html). When these clinics are held the patients arrive 12 to 15 hours before the clinic doors open  to secure their place in line. Once given an entry number, the patients must stay on site so the number cannot be sold. To assist with security I stayed on the site after the numbers had been handed out and the patients returned to their cars to await the clinic's opening. I spoke to countless patients. Most were at the clinic because they did not have health, dental, or vision insurance coverage, could not afford the services needed out of pocket, and did not qualify for government health care benefits. Most met the definition of the "working poor". Over and over, I was asked "they will pull my teeth tomorrow, won't they".

Wow. It was a great feeling and experience to be part of an organization which can assist other with such a basic need as better health. Sitting in a golf cart amongst 200 parked cars on a cold September night and seeing first hand Rotary serving those who need it is my greatest Rotary moment. I look forward to helping with future clinics.

So does that mean I stop the foundation work for projects abroad? No, not at all. In fact, the experience at home has given me a better context with which to understand the importance of international projects, thereby increasing the satisfaction from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment